Monroe One BOCES continues to monitor Coronavirus
LETTER TO STUDENTS AND FAMILIES
February 12, 2020
Dear Monroe One BOCES staff, students and families,
A new virus called 2019 Novel Coronavirus has caused an outbreak in China and cases have now been confirmed in other countries, including the United States. Currently, there are no confirmed cases of the virus in New York State. Monroe One BOCES continues to monitor this developing situation.
As February break approaches and many families will be traveling, we wanted to take this time to share guidance from the Center for Disease Control (CDC). Symptoms of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus include fever, cough and/or difficulty breathing. The same steps recommended for staying healthy during the annual cold and influenza season are also applicable during the outbreak of this new respiratory virus:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick and do not return to school until you are fever-free for 24 hours without using fever-reducing medication
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
For more information about this virus, please visit Monroe.edu/CoronavirusResources.
This is a rapidly-changing situation that we will continue to follow closely. We are in close contact with our district medical director, the Monroe County Health Department and the CDC. The health and safety of our students and staff remains our top priority.
If you have any questions, please contact the Monroe County Department of Health at 585-753-2991 or visit the county's DOH website.