This program is an introduction to food service where students will learn the fundamentals of food preparation for the food service industry in a large commercial kitchen. They will be responsible for making breakfast, lunch, desserts, and snacks for the Take Away Café and will learn customer service skills to run the café successfully. The students will learn how to prepare and present an extensive range of foods, including appetizers and desserts. They will also be introduced to new foods and some of the latest food trends.
AM Units of Study
- ServSafe Safety and sanitation and fire safety
- Equipment and tool usage
- Knife safety
- Weights and measures
- Kitchen math
- How to read a recipe
- Breakfast foods, soups, salads, sandwiches, pasta, rice, vegetables, poultry, meats
- Career readiness and customer service
- Potential Work-based learning hours = 40+
PM Units of Study
- All AM units of study
- Appetizers, fruits, entrees, baked goods
- New food trends (plant based, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free)
- Potential Work—based learning hours = 60 +
Characteristics for Student Success
- Students will follow all health and safety procedures while performing tasks.
- Appropriate clothing is required to ensure the safety of students while they are performing tasks in the environment.
- Students will be required to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 lbs and may be required to stand for long periods of time.
- Students will work in a fast-paced environment and must be able to keep up with the pace to complete tasks on time.
- Students will have the opportunity to work both individually and as part of a team to complete tasks and achieve goals.
- Students must be comfortable being around a variety of food smells and textures and must be able to handle different types of foods safely and appropriately.