2019-2020 Mini-Grant Opportunity
The Monroe One BOCES School Library System Council has approved funding to provide mini-grants to member school librarians*. Available funding for 2019-20 mini-grants is $20,000. Each applicant may request up to $1,200 in grant funds for use in a collection development initiative, an innovative instructional or extracurricular project, or professional development.
Allowable mini-grant projects include:
- Collection Development
- Innovative Projects
- Professional Development Programs
Important dates to note:
October 4, 2019
October 15, 2019
October 22, 2019
Superintendent’s signature on form received after receiving grant
January 25, 2020
Mid-project check in**
March 23, 2020
Projects must be completed
March 27, 2020
All itemized receipts must be submitted to SLS Office
June 14, 2020
Final grant report must be submitted to SLS Office
Previous grants have allowed school librarians to…
Attend conferences; some possibilities include (but are not limited to):
- AASL (American Association of School Librarians) in Louisville, KY, November 14-16, 2019
- NYLA (New York Library Association) in Saratoga Springs, NY, November 14-16, 2019
- NYSCATE (NYS Computers & Technology in Education) in Rochester, NY, November 23-26, 2019
- STANYS (Science Teachers of New York State) in Rochester, NY November 2-3, 2019
- NYSRA (New York State Reading Association) in Albany, NY, November 14-16, 2019
- NYCSS (New York Council of Social Studies Teachers), Albany, NY, March 12-14, 2020.
- Write a new curriculum embedding Information Literacy Skills, Coding Skills, or Maker Spaces
- Hold new special events like “Family Literacy Night” or “Family Gaming Night”
This year you could…
Collaborate with a school librarian from another district to develop a new program for your students
Develop a new parent education night
Develop an engaging collection of informational texts
*All grant applicants must be certified NYS School Library Media Specialists
- Upon award, Monroe One BOCES School Library System is committed to paying the total amount awarded. A mid-year check-in, via e-mail or phone, has been added to ensure that grant activities are undertaken/purchased in a timely manner.
- The school librarian and the district must work together to purchase all items approved in the project proposal.
- Within New York State: We cannot reimburse for NYS taxes paid. Please use an appropriate NYS Tax Exempt form for these expenses.
- Outside of New York State: SLS can reimburse for state taxes on out of state conferences.
- SLS CANNOT reimburse for meals (unless included in registration), travel expenses, or memberships. For conferences, only registration, hotel expenses, and substitute expenses are covered.
- Only items listed in the Mini-Grant Application and Approval letter are eligible for reimbursement. If a change is necessary, it must be consistent with the original objectives of the grant. Changes to the original request must be requested in writing and approved by the School Library System Director.
- Once the project is complete, the district will send an invoice with original receipts to the School Library System within 14 days of project completion or by the deadline of March 27, 2020, whichever comes first.
The School Library System will reimburse the district for the total eligible amount spent.
The district will reimburse the school librarian as needed.
School District & Librarian’s Responsibilities:
- Once approved by the School Library System, the school librarian will proceed with the approved project in a timely manner. All purchases and travel requests must follow your school district’s business office procedures.
- The recipient is responsible for all grant related recordkeeping.
- The district will provide necessary support to ensure the success of the project (ex. Advertise PD opportunities, duplicate handouts, timely processing of purchase orders etc.).
- The district will share the award notification and results of the project with the Board of Education.
- Projects must be completed by March 23, 2020.
- The school librarian must submit all receipts and invoices to support their grant expenditures to their school district’s business office in a timely manner.
- The district will invoice the School Library System with all supporting itemized documentation, receipts, etc., for reimbursement within 14 days of project completion or by the deadline of March 27, 2020, whichever comes first.
- After receiving payment from the School Library System, the district will reimburse the school librarian (and any project participants) as necessary.
- Submit a final report suitable for publication on the Monroe One BOCES SLS Website by June 14, 2020.
Please contact Katie Bertrand at Katie_Bertrand@boces.monroe.edu with questions.