Change tiers if already a member?

I am already an ERS member after joining at my previous place of employment.  Do I start in a new tier at BOCES?

No, the good news is that with all public employment (County, State, Town etc.) within New York State, your membership in both ERS and TRS will transfer. 

If you are coming from another New York State school district or government agency and as long as there hasn’t been a seven (7) year gap in service, you will remain in the same tier. 

After seven (7) years of being inactive in either system, your membership will be automatic withdrawn and your funds will be directly returned to you by the NYS Retirement System.